Hi my name is Lysa, from Welcome to My Circus, and I am excited to be a guest blogger here at Homeschoolapalooza today with this super fun and easy DIY Kool-Aid Lip Gloss.
Earlier this year I made a couple of batches of this lip gloss to give as part of the DIY Beauty Gifts I made for the gals in my wedding party. It was fun, simple, easy, and inexpensive to make. My daughters’ and I have even made it a few times since. Today I will show you step-by-step how to make this great lip gloss!
What You Will Need:
1 Package of Kool-Aid ~ Any flavor
1 Jar Vaseline/Petroleum Jelly
2 Glass Bowls
Plastic Fork or Knife for Stirring
Small Airtight Containers
I purchased the Vaseline and the small airtight containers (pkg. of 10) at the Dollar Tree for $2.00, the Kool-Aid was purchased from the grocery store at .12 cents per package on sale. I already had the glass bowls, plastic knife, and paper towels on hand so the total cost for this project was $2.12.
1. Open and then pour the contents of the Kool-Aid package into the small, glass bowl. Then set aside.
2. Spoon Vaseline into a larger glass/microwave safe bowl.
3. Heat the Vaseline in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each heating. It took me between 4-6 minutes to melt each batch of Vaseline. It will be liquid and VERY HOT when it is fully melted. Make sure to wear gloves or oven mitts and make sure children are closely supervised.
After about a minute and a half of microwaving in 30 second increments.
What it should look like completely melted and ready to remove from microwave.
4. Take out of microwave once completely melted and pour liquid Vaseline into small glass bowl with the Kool-Aid, stir until desired color is reached and all of the Kool-Aid has completely dissolved. (I used the whole package for each batch of lip gloss I made.) *If having a problem with the Kool-Aid dissolving allow Vaseline to cool, but do not allow it to return to a solid form, and the crystals should dissolve much easier. The trick is to stir a lot and briskly but with the Vaseline not being too hot, about room temp. without it being solid is the perfect temperature.
What lip gloss will look like once you have reached the desired color and the Kool-Aid has completely dissolved.
5. If it begins to solidify you can heat the mixture again for another 30 seconds. ~ Skip this step if it is still in a liquid or semi-liquid form.
6. Pour into airtight containers and set aside to cool off and solidify. ~ Usually takes a couple of hours.
8. Repeat this entire process if making more than one flavor or batch.
I hope you enjoy making this great lip gloss but also enjoy using it as well! It quickly became a must have in our house 🙂
This was an awesome project – thanks for sharing Lysa!
SUBSCRIBE TO HOMESCHOOLAPALOOZA
Did you enjoy this post? Then stick around and subscribe to my latest posts and updates. The follow button is at the top of my sidebar! Don’t worry – I hate spam, too.
HAVE SOMETHING TO ADD?
Please share it in the comments below. I always love hearing feedback from you – so go ahead! Tell me what you are thinking
Sharing at House of Hipsters!